Tonight I decided to change up the “Traditional” mac and cheese recipe. When I usually make it I just mac it with out anything but, its pretty versatile. You can pretty much add anything to this and it still would be delicious. I have even just thrown the mac in cheese (made except for baking) in the crock pot for an hour instead if the oven.
- 1 16oz elbow noodles
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 2 Cups milk
- 1 8 ounce package cream cheese (I have used store brand and Philadelphia and I strongly suggest you get the Philadelphia)
- 2 Teaspoons spicy brown mustard
- 3 Cups sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 Cups cooked chicken breast (cubed)
- 8 Ounces cooked bacon (crumbled)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add macaroni pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain
In a 3 quart saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and stir in flour. Cook for about 1 minute, until smooth and bubbly; stirring occasionally. Mix in milk, cream cheese, salt, pepper, and Dijon mustard. Continue cooking until sauce is thickened. Add cooked macaroni and Cheddar cheese. Keep stirring until everything is blended well.
- Pour noodles into a 2 quart casserole dish. Add chicken and bacon and stir together until blended then add cheese sauce.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown and heated through.