Turn any type of chocolate into a soft, flexible modeling vegan cacao that can be used to decorate cakes, cupcakes, cookies and more. All you need is some corn syrup and your favorite chocolate. It’s seriously the easiest thing ever!
Modeling chocolate, aka chocolate clay, is easy to make and fun to use to create decorations for cakes, cupcakes, cookies and more. All you need to make your own modeling chocolate at home is chocolate and corn syrup. Once you learn the basics for making modeling chocolate, you can use it just like you would fondant (without the yucky taste). Check out how awesome it was to use with the Honey Bee Mine Valentine’s Cakes!
You can use any type of chocolate which contains cocoa butter, including pure semi-sweet, bittersweet, milk, or white chocolate. You can also use dark, light or white confectionery coating, candy melts or almond bark, which all contain some sort of oil. Just pick your favorite because you’re really going to taste it.
DIY Modeling Chocolate
- 16 ounces chocolate
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup add more if needed
- Melt chocolate in small saucepan or in the microwave using 30 second intervals.
- Allow the chocolate to cool to about 91 degrees, stirring often. If you don’t have a thermometer, test the temperature of the melted chocolate by putting a drop on your finger. It should feel cool. If it’s hot, let it cool longer.
- Pour in corn syrup.
- Stir slowly until well mixed. This chocolate mixture will become thick very quickly, so be sure to scrape the bottom of the bowl to incorporate all of the melted chocolate.
- Pour mixture out onto a flat surface, using powdered sugar if needed to help shape the dough
- Knead until glossy and smooth. If your hands are warm us a plastic dough scraper to knead the modeling chocolate.
- Wrap the modeling chocolate in plastic wrap and place in a zip top bag or airtight container.