There is nothing better than a warm bowl of soup on a cold day, or really any day for that matter! With fall arriving, that means soup season has finally come! So, get your soup mug ready because I have a killer twist on traditional Pasta e Fagioli, made right in the Instant Pot!
A little known fact about Pasta e Fagioli is it’s actually a recipe born from peasant cooking. Pasta e Fagioli translates “pasta and beans” which are the two main inexpensive ingredients in this soup. This soup was traditionally a recipe that was prepared at home for family, and not for visitors. Nowadays, this stick to your rib soup is perfect to serve for everyone and you can find it in tons of restaurants worldwide! Funny how times change.
With the inexpensive cost of ingredient’s, this Instant Pot Creamy Pasta e Fagioli is perfect to double or even triple, meaning you can feed a crowd on a small budget! If you love the original version, you will have to try this because I can assure you it is just as good, if not better (in my opinion) than the original version. It’s so delicious and hearty, you should expect no leftovers after dinner!
What to make with Instant Pasta e Fagioli
Pasta e Fagioli is one of those soups that is super filling. You can either make it as a side dish or a main course. If you choose to make it as a main course, something such as salad, would make a great companion. Bread is also a must for loping up all of that delicious broth.
If you choose to make this as a side dish, consider pairing it with a half of a grilled cheese or even a cold sandwich such as tomato, basil, and mozerella.
How to make Instant Pot Pasta e Fagioli
- Turn the Instant Pot on to the Saute-High function.
- When the Instant Pot is hot, add the Italian sausage and cook until browned and crisp on the outside, about 8-10 minutes. Make sure to stir the sausage often or it will stick to the bottom of the pot.
- When the sausage is browned, set it aside and add the onion. Cook the onion until it has become soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Then, add the garlic and Italian seasoning and cook for an additional minute.
- After everything has simmered for an additional minute, add the chicken stock and scrape any browned bits off the bottom of the Instant Pot. I usually like to use a wooden spoon so I don’t scratch the insert.
- The next step is to add the Great Northern Beans, Ditalini pasta, parmesan rind, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper.
- Give everything a good stir and attach the lid. Ensure the valve is in the “sealing” position and then set the Instant Pot to Pressure Cook-Manual for 4 minutes.
- When the Instant Pot has finished cooking, release the pressure manually by switching the valve to the “venting” position. Be careful– it will steam!
- Remove the lid carefully and add the Tuscan kale and heavy cream. Stir to everything until it’s combined and reattach the lid (with the Instant Pot on the Keep Warm setting) and allow it to sit for 2 minutes. This will help soften the kale.
- Serve warm, garnished with grated parmesan cheese, if desired. If you have any, you can store any leftover soup in the fridge for up to three days.
What substitute you make in Instant Pot Pasta e Fagioli
Instant Pot Pasta e Fagioli is one of the most versatile soups you can make. Like I mentioned previously, this soup was born out of necessity, meaning no real recipe was ever alike. If you don’t like an ingredient or don’t happen to have it in the pantry, you can omit it or change it (like the northern beans for example), without truly altering the soup. The sky is really the limit when it comes to this.
Instant Pot Creamy Pasta e Fagioli
- ½ pound Italian sausage mild or spicy, your choice
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 20 ounce cans Great Northern Beans, drained
- 1 cup 8 ounces Ditalini pasta, uncooked
- 1 parmesan rind optional
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes optional and to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups chopped Tuscan kale
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Heat the Instant Pot using the Saute-High function.
- Add the Italian sausage and cook, stirring often, until browned and crisp-- about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove the Italian sausage and add the onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion has become soft and translucent-- about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and Italian seasoning. Cook for an additional minute.
- Next, add the chicken stock and scrape any browned bits off the bottom of the Instant Pot. I like to use a wooden spoon so I don’t scratch the insert.
- Next, add the Great Northern Beans, Ditalini pasta, parmesan rind, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper.
- Attach the lid and ensure the valve is in the “sealing” position. Set the Instant Pot to Pressure Cook-Manual for 4 minutes.
- When the Instant Pot has finished cooking, release the pressure manually by switching the valve to the “venting” position. Be careful-- it will steam!
- Remove the lid. Add the Tuscan kale and heavy cream. Stir to combine. Reattach the lid (with the Instant Pot on the Keep Warm setting) and allow it to sit for 2 minutes. This will help soften the kale.
- Serve warm, garnished with grated parmesan cheese, if desired. Store any leftover soup in the fridge for up to three days.
Looking for some other delicious Instant Pot Soups? Give these a try!
Did you like this recipe? Do you love to save time and money? Sign up for my newsletter and get time and money-saving tips delivered straight to your inbox, along with recipes like this one.
Don’t worry, I hate spam too so I’ll never share your information and I won’t flood your inbox with junk. Plus, when you sign up, you’ll get a free copy of my meal planning printable.