One of my favorite appetizers is twice baked potato skins. They’re basically deluxe baked potatoes made into a finger food.
Loaded with cheddar cheese, bacon, sour cream and green onions, potato skins are an appetizer that can easily take the place of a meal! No wonder everyone in my family loves them.
Even better, it’s super easy to make twice baked potato skins to suit anyone’s taste. Like Tex Mex? Replace the bacon with black beans and corn and top with a little salsa.
Prefer Italian? Use Italian sausage instead of bacon and mozzarella instead of cheddar, then top with a spoonful of spaghetti sauce.
Plus, you know I’m frugal! Potatoes are so inexpensive, but very filling. So, they’re the perfect ingredient for dishes that are both budget-friendly AND hearty. These are perfect for any game day party you might be planning! You can make enough to feed a crowd with out having to take out another mortgage.
You know I don’t have time to be slaving away over the stove. So, rest assured this recipe is easy to put together. The longest part of the whole process is waiting for the potatoes to cook in the microwave. Check out the recipe below.
Twice "Baked" Potato Skins
- 5 russet potatoes scrubbed
- 1/4-1/2 cup vegetable or olive oil
- 3 strips bacon
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- Sour cream optional garnish
- Salsa optional garnish
- Chives or green onions optional garnish
- Cut potatoes in half and skewer with a fork to create several holes in the white flesh (not the skin).
- Place on a wet napkin draped over a microwave-safe plate and heat for 12-14 minutes.
- Let stand until cool to the touch.
- Meanwhile, cook your bacon strips and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 475F
- Place 1/4 cup of oil in a oven-safe casserole dish.
- Scoop the white flesh out of the potatoes - this can be discarded or saved for another use.
- Season the potatoes and then place cut-side down in the casserole dish.
- Bake the potatoes for 8 minutes, then remove from oven. Flip and fill with cheese and bacon.
- Bake until cheese is completely melted, approximately 8 minutes.
- Garnish or top as desired and serve. Makes 10.
If you’re looking for more easy, delicious appetizer recipes check out the Ultimate Appetizer Ideabook. It contains 225 appetizer recipes.
Want even more? The Better Homes and Gardens Ultimate Appetizers Book has 450 different appetizer recipes!
Both books contain a wide variety of appetizer recipes and LOTS of pictures (one of my favorite features in any cookbook).
Did you like this recipe? Do you love to save time and money? Sign up for my newsletter and get time and money-saving tips delivered straight to your inbox, along with recipes like this one.
Don’t worry, I hate spam too so I’ll never share your information and I won’t flood your inbox with junk. Plus, when you sign up, you’ll get a free copy of my meal planning printable.