- 1/4 Cup of your favorite scent Downy Unstopables
- 2 Tablespoons baking soda
- 3 Cups HOT water
- 32 oz. Empty spray bottle
- In a mixing bowl or tall container that you DO NOT want to use for food again (the smell of the fabric softener never goes away), combine the Downy Unstobables and hot water.
- Add the baking soda 1 tablespoon at a time slowly stirring (to prevent clumping).
- Add mixture to empty spray bottle and fill the rest of the way with cool water. Shake vigorously to make sure evrything is combined.
- Add label to you bottle and bask in the smell of savings!
So for this batch of DIY Febreze, I decided to use my absolute favorite scent of Downy Unstopables and it smelled amazing! It also lasted just as long as normal Febreze! To my surprise, I did notice that one or two sprays of the DIY Febrese really did the trick even for tough odors like my shoe closet! I was even more amazed that I had absolutely nothing left behind!
FYI if you are worried about staining: I spilled this batch (which turned out to be purple) on my gray pants and had absolutely no spots after it dried.
A few tips for making your own DIY Febreze:
When you make your first batch of DIY Febreze, keep in mind to really add the baking soda slowly and stir as you go to prevent clumping. If you do run into any issues, try adding less baking soda your next go round.
If you DO notice that your are getting left over residue, you can opt to use 2 teaspoons fulls of rubbing alcohol instead of the baking soda to help it dry faster.
If you do not normally use the Downy Unstopables, do not go out and buy them just for this! You can use 3 tablespoons of liquid softener in it’s place. ALSO, if you happen to have a scent allergy, you could also use Borax (also a fabric softener) and essential oils to control the scent.
Do pay more than $1 for the spray bottle! You can pick them up from Walmart or even the Dollar Store for less than $1!
Want a FREE handy dandy label for your bottle?
You can print yours by clicking the image below. I printed mine onto shipping labels because that is what I already had laying around my house. They actually fit perfectly onto the 32 oz spray bottle I got from Walmart.
All in all, making your own Febreze is super easy and can save you a ton! I love not having to have Febreze on my shopping list anymore!