There is almost nothing more delicious and comforting than a good Bolognese recipe. Especially during the winter months. This Instant Pot Hearty Meat Sauce has the ability to fill your tummy but also warm you from the inside, making it a delicious addition to your weekly meal rotation.
Typically speaking, Bolognese is usually used with wider pastas like lasagna, while other meat sauces are used with spaghetti noodles. This is because thicker sauce tends to blend well with wider noodles. The truth is though, this Instant Pot Hearty Meat Sauce can be used in any application and it still tastes delicious.
This recipe is perfect for family meals, gatherings and simply as a comfort food staple in your home. You can even make it ahead and freeze it for later use. The best news? It is done in the Instant Pot so you know that it is not as time consuming to make as most sauces, because it doesn’t take as long for the flavors to blend.
How to Make Instant Pot Hearty Meat Sauce
This delicious Bolognese style meat sauce can be made quickly in your Instant Pot and is perfect for a family meal any night of the week. All it takes is a few simple ingredients and a little time.
- To make this comforting classing, you will want to ensure that your onion is minced properly. You do not want giant, uneven chunks in your sauce.
- We like to use 1lb of minced beef to create this sauce as it lends the perfect balance of flavor and texture.
- Make sure that you have tomato paste and 2 28oz cans of whole tomatoes on hand to use. We also like to use ½ a cup of red wine to make this sauce, but it is OK if you opt to leave that out.
- Start by placing your olive oil in the Instant pot, setting it to the sauté setting.
- Once your oil has heated up, add in your onions, cooking until they are clear. This usually takes about 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the sliced garlic and allow to cook for 1 more minute stirring constantly.
- Add in your minced beef and allow to cook until it becomes browned. This step takes about 5 minutes. Do not skip this step, browning your meat is important.
- Turn off the sauté setting on your instant pot and add in the remaining ingredients.
- Secure your lid and set your pot to the meat/stew setting for about 10 minutes. Allow for a natural release.
- Give the sauce a stir one more time and use it for your desired dish.
Can I Freeze My Instant Pot Hearty Meat Sauce?
The short answer is yes. Meat sauces tend to freeze very well, allowing you to keep leftovers to create several more meals. To achieve optimal results, use the frozen Bolognese or meat sauce within four months.
Instant Pot Hearty Meat Sauce Recipe
Instant Pot Hearty Meat Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion minced
- 8 cloves garlic - 2 minced 6 whole
- 1 lb beef minced
- 2 Tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 28 oz cans whole tomatoes
- 1/2 cup red wine optional
- Place the olive oil in the Instant Pot and set to "saute" setting.
- Once the oil is hot, add the onions and cook until translucent, about 2-3 minutes. Add the sliced garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Stir constantly.
- Add the minced beef and cook until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Turn off the saute setting.
- Add the whole garlic cloves, seasoning, tomato paste, whole tomatoes and red wine (if using).
- Secure the lid on the instant pot and set to "meat/stew" setting for 10 minutes. Natural release.
Did you like this recipe? Do you love to save time and money? Sign up for my newsletter and get time and money-saving tips delivered straight to your inbox, along with recipes like this one.
Don’t worry, I hate spam too so I’ll never share your information and I won’t flood your inbox with junk. Plus, when you sign up, you’ll get a free copy of my meal planning printable.