When it comes to side dishes, many people love the comforting classics. This is why these Instant Pot Potatoes Au Gratin are the perfect addition to any meal you decide to create.
There is almost nothing more comforting than a hearty side dish created with delicious potatoes and delectable cheese. The truth is, this comfort food classic pairs well with almost anything. The best part of this recipe though, is that the time to create it has been minimized by the Instant pot. Rather than investing several hours into creating this dish, these Instant Pot Potatoes Au Gratin are done mere minutes.
If it is a delicious side dish you seek, you need not look further. Not only will everyone enjoy eating them, but you will be blown away by how fast these are thrown together. They taste amazing, they take little time and they are the perfect accompaniment to any meal.
How to Make Instant Pot Potatoes Au Gratin
This recipe is beyond what you would expect. It takes so little time, but the flavors are exceptional. If it is a quick, easy and filling side dish you are looking for, you have found the right one.
- To create this side dish, you will require 3 pounds of evenly sliced potatoes. Take the time to slice them into approximately ¼ inch slices. This is important if you want the texture to turn out properly.
- Sharp cheddar compliments this recipe perfectly. Substituting the type of cheese that should be used is not recommended. Make sure that you have enough to shred 2 ½ cups in total.
- To start creating this masterpiece you will want to mix together the water and ½ a teaspoon of salt and add it to the Instant pot. Add the potatoes into the pot and program it to cook on manual for 1 minute.
- While this is cooking together, prepare the cheese sauce. You will want to melt the butter in a medium saucepan using medium heat. Stir in the flour and the remaining salt and pepper. Continue coking for one minute. Mix in only 2 cups of cheese, reserving the remaining shredded cheese for the top of the dish.
- Add the milk into the cheese sauce mixture all at once. Keep stirring as the mixture comes to a rolling boil. Once boiling, add in the sharp cheddar cheese and remove the mix from the heat. As it rests, the sauce will consistently thicken.
- Preheat your oven to broil and prepare a 9×9 square baking dish. Spray the dish with non-stick cooking spray to ensure nothing sticks.
- When the Instant pot cycle has come to completion, perform a quick release of the pressure. Once completed, carefully remove the potatoes.
- Place potatoes in the 9×9 baking dish, layering with the cheese sauce as you go.
- Cover the dish with the remaining shredded cheese and place under the broiler for approximately 2 or 3 minutes until the cheese has melted.
What Does Potatoes Au Gratin Mean?
These instant pot potatoes au gratin are a delicious alternative to the traditional dish. Potatoes au gratin are essentially slices of boiled potatoes, sprinkled with delicious cheese and browned under the broiler. This amazing side dish can also be referred to as au gratin potatoes or scalloped potatoes.
- 3 pounds potatoes peeled and sliced evenly (about ¼ inch slices)
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt divided
- ¼ teaspoon white or black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 ½ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese divided
Mix together water and ½ teaspoon salt.
To the electric pressure cooker, add the salt water and then sliced potatoes. Program the electric pressure cooker to cook on “manual” or “pressure cook” for 1 minute.
Meanwhile, prepare the cheese sauce by melting the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour, remaining salt and pepper. Cook for 1 minute. Add milk all at once and continue stirring until the mixture comes to a boil. Mix in 2 cups of cheese and remove from heat. The sauce will continue to thicken as it rests.
Preheat the oven broiler. Prepare a 9x9 square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
When the electric pressure cooker cycle is complete, perform a quick pressure release. Carefully remove potatoes and layer with cheese sauce in baking dish.
Cover the casserole with remaining cheese, if desired. Place under the broiler for 2 to 3 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
Did you like this recipe? Do you love to save time and money? Sign up for my newsletter and get time and money-saving tips delivered straight to your inbox, along with recipes like this one.
Don’t worry, I hate spam too so I’ll never share your information and I won’t flood your inbox with junk. Plus, when you sign up, you’ll get a free copy of my meal planning printable.