Instant Pot Salisbury Steak is the perfect comfort meal made in a flash! Delicious meaty patties are covered in a hearty mushroom gravy, then served over your choice of fluffy mashed potatoes or rice. This is one meal that will bring the whole family to the table!
Whenever I hear the words “Salisbury Steak”, I instant think of those little black TV trays with frozen meat blocks on them. It’s just not something I really never saw as tasty. That is, until one night when my husband made Salisbury Steak for dinner. Not only was it completely unlike the TV dinner version, it tuned into one of my favorite meals almost immediately. I mean, who doesn’t love anything smothered in hearty gravy?! The only drawback was that he had to stand over the stove for quite a while, which made me feel bad.
Thanks to the Instant Pot, I have now been able to transform his recipe into one that literally takes no time at all. Beside taking no time, this Instant Pot Salisbury Steak recipe can be thrown together with items you probably already have on hand which can save you a buck or two! Speaking of saving a buck, you will notice with this recipe that the meat is blended with mushrooms. That serves more than one purpose.
Recently I took the Blenditarian Pledge to help my family eat healthier and to save money. The term Blenditarian simply means one who believes the mighty, meaty mushroom makes meals more delicious, nutritious and sustainable. Since taking the pledge, I have been mixing my meat with mushrooms to not only add an extra serving of veggies (hidden in plain sight) to my meals, but to also add bulk/extra servings while still trimming cost.
To my surprise, it was way easier to do then I thought it would be. I experimented blending meat with mushrooms for some of my family’s favorite dishes like Instant Pot Beef and Brown Rice Burrito Bowls, Instant Pot Supreme Pizza Pasta, and Instant Pot Cheeseburger Helper and they all went over without a hitch! This Instant Pot Salisbury Steak was no different.
Before taking the pledge to become a Blenditarian, I went to the Bleditarian website and learned a ton of things I never knew about mushrooms! For one, mushrooms are a fat-free, cholesterol free, and low in calorie food choice. They also provide important nutrients like vitamin D, B vitamins, antioxidants and potassium! Mushrooms are also low in sodium and rich in umami (the “fifth” taste), which means enhanced flavor without the added salt.
Check out how easy it is to make Instant Pot Salisbury Steak
Another awesome thing about mushrooms is when cooked properly, mushrooms can easily mimic the meat. To get the best blend results, mushrooms should be chopped to match the consistency of the meat they’re paired with (like ground beef). I always use a food processor to finely chop my mushrooms. I find that it does a better than I can do myself.
After the mushrooms are finely chopped (or processed), you simply incorporate them into your meat and cook it like you traditionally would. For this Instant Pot Salisbury Steak recipe, you do that by adding your meat to the food processor after you have blended all of the other ingredients. Blending everything together like that helps to make the Salisbury Steak patties stick together and hold up better than when mixing by hand.
Another thing you should know about this recipe is that it is important to not skip the browning step of the patties. Being the lazy cook that I am, I have totally tried this and my patties literally disintegrated while cooking in the pot. Save yourself some heartache and don’t skip any steps on this Instant Pot Salisbury Steak. There are not a lot but each one is important.
Whether it’s winter, summer, spring or fall, this Instant Pot Salisbury Steak is the perfect comfort meal (with a hidden serving of veggies thrown in). So, ditch the boring old TV dinners on the weeknight and opt for the real thing made the easy way!
Instant Pot Salisbury Steak
Instant Pot Salisbury Steak
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 6 oz baby bella mushrooms sliced or un-sliced
- ¼ cup white onion
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 4 tbsp butter divided
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tsp dijon mustard
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 3 cups beef stock
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms sliced
- 1 large onion sliced
- 1/4 cup red wine or beef broth
- 2 tbsp corn starch to use for gravy thickener
- Mix gravy ingredients and set aside.
- In a food processor, add 6oz Baby Bella mushrooms and pulse until minced. Remove and set aside.
- Add all steak patty ingredients beside beef and blend until everything is well combined. Add mushrooms and beef and pulse until everything is combined.
- Remove beef mixture from bowl and shape into 6 flat patties.
- Dredge patties in the two tablespoons of corn starch, Make sure to shake off any excess.
- Turn Instant Pot onto sauté. When Instant Pot is hot, add two table spoons of butter.
- In batches, place patties into cooking pot, brown on both sides and remove to a plate. Cook only 1-2 at a time to avoid breaking patties when removing from the Instant Pot.
- Add the rest of the butter, mushrooms, onions, and minced garlic, and cook 2-3 minutes, until onions are fragrant.
- Add the red wine and deglaze the Instant Pot.
- Turn Instant Pot off and pour gravy mixture in. Then, give everything a good stir.
- Carefully place beef patties into the instant pot. Close Instant Pot and set to sealing position. Select manual high pressure (the manual button or the pressure cook button on the newer models) and set timer for 10 minutes.
- When timer is up, perform a quick release of pressure. Remove patties and turn Instant Pot off.
- Turn Instant Pot back onto sauté. Remove one cup of broth from the pot and mix with 2 tablespoons of cornstarch. Add slurry back to pot and simmer for 3-4 minutes until gravy is thickened.
- Serve patties over mashed potatoes and enjoy!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of CLEVER and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.
Did you like this recipe? Do you love to save time and money? Sign up for my newsletter and get time and money-saving tips delivered straight to your inbox, along with recipes like this one.
Don’t worry, I hate spam too so I’ll never share your information and I won’t flood your inbox with junk. Plus, when you sign up, you’ll get a free copy of my meal planning printable.