This One Pot Chicken, Broccoli, & Rice is the perfect solution for a busy week night dinner! Save time and sanity with only one dish to wash from this delicious dinner your family will be begging to have again!
If you like quick and easy dinners, you’re going to love this recipe for one pot chicken, broccoli and rice. All you need is one pan, 30 minutes, and a few inexpensive ingredients that you probably have in your kitchen right now.
If you have kids who hate vegetables, this is the perfect dish to win them over. They won’t mind eating broccoli when it’s surrounded by rice and cheese. I usually have a hard time convincing my little 4-year-old to eat his veggies, but not when I make this dish.
An easy dinner that kids will actually eat? Yes! It’s true!
Trust me, this is going to be one of your favorite go-to dishes for busy weeknights. I love that I almost always have the ingredients on hand already. And since I always seem to be short on time, I really like how quickly it comes together (the lack of dirty dishes is a nice bonus too!).
Check out how easy it is to make below. And if you try it, please come back and leave me a comment to let me know if you liked it!
One Pot Chicken, Broccoli, & Rice
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ½ small yellow onion diced
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon of salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup uncooked extra long grain white rice
- 2½ cups fresh broccoli florets cut into bite sized pieces
- 2½ cups chicken broth
- 2 cups shredded mild cheddar cheese
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, sauté onions in two tablespoons butter over medium heat.
- Once onions soften, increase the heat to medium-high and add chicken.
- Slightly cook the chicken pieces and add the garlic. Cook for about 1 more minute. The chicken should not be all the way cooked at this point.
- Push chicken to one side of the pan and add the additional tablespoon of butter to other side of the pan.
- When butter has melted, add uncooked rice and saute it for a 2-3 minutes to start the cooking process.
- Add the chicken broth to the pan and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Lower the heat to a simmer and cover the pan. Cook mixture for about 12 minutes.
- Add the broccoli and stir to combine.
- Continue to cook covered another 8 minutes on low, or until broccoli and rice are both tender. If you find the all of your liquid is gone you can add about 1/4 cup or less of chicken broth if needed to finish the cooking process.
- Remove from heat and stir in half a cup of cheese.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and cover with a lid, letting it sit for 1-2 minutes or until cheese has melted.
Do you want to save even more time and money? Download my free menu planning worksheet. Planning ahead takes just a few minutes each week and will save you tons of time, money, and stress later!
If you like easy, inexpensive recipes check out Budget Bytes. It's filled with over 100 easy, delicious recipes that will also save you money! Another of my favorite cookbooks is The Weeknight Dinner Cookbook. It has so many wonderful recipes for main dishes AND side dishes that all take 45 minutes or less to make.
Or, you can save money and skip the cookbooks. You can access all of my recipes or free! Here are some others you might be interested in: